The Thomas Jefferson High School Lady Viking's Basketball Team
Hello, I'm the new 2022-23 Tee Jay Girls Varsity Basketball coach. My name is Wallesha Tennessee-Alston but I'm called Coach Tennessee. I am a proud graduate of Armstrong High School Class of 1995. Where I played for 3 years and was named MVP. I have been an employee of Richmond Public Schools since 2012. I coached girls basketball at Martin Luther King Middle, where our team went to the Middle School Championship for 7 straight years. We had a record of 4 wins and 3 losses. I have also been an assistant coach at two high schools, where 2 of my JV teams have been undefeated. I have also coached AAU and summer league teams.
We are dedicated to promoting self-confidence, sportsmanship and the value of teamwork while providing the young ladies with an improved knowledge of the game of basketball (Basketball IQ). We focus on providing quality, experienced coaching and techniques that are designed to improve the skills needed to compete at a higher level of basketball then one they started with.
1. Encourage fundamental development.
2. Improve individual and team player skill sets.
3. Provide competitive playing opportunities for children.
4. Encourage sportsmanship/teamwork in a fun/competitive environment
The vision of this TEAM is to produce quality and competitive basketball players while keeping a focus on their academic and life goals.
Commitment from Parents:
1. Understand and acknowledge that all team practices and games are mandatory and all players must be attentive and on time unless otherwise discuss with head coach.
2. There will be NO coaching no matter how good your intentions are, and there will be NO shouting instructions to your child and/ or coaches. Let the coaches run the team. Attempting to coach or instruct your child from the sideline is distracting and counterproductive for the player.
You represent your school, community, and team. Conduct yourself in an appropriate way. Take responsibility for your actions. Do not make excuses. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure you have practice attire and uniform ready. Make a commitment to excellence in the classroom, on the court, and off the court. You are a student before you are an athlete. Keep up your GPA. Failure to do so will result in ineligibility for basketball. You must meet VHSL academic rules to participate. Grades are checked!
What should prospective players expect if they join the basketball team?
How should players reach out if they are interested?
Please email: email@example.com
Your vocal support and positive encouragement are welcome throughout the season. If you see anything that needs attention, please reach out to me via email, or see me personally, but not during practice or games.
Coach Tennessee - Alston